The Law Office of Christopher Leibig opened on January 3, 2012, and within the first year achieved substantial recognition for quality representation of criminal defendants throughout Virginia and Washington, DC. The firm is devoted to the principle that criminal defendants are best represented when counsel takes on a select and limited number of clients with a constant eye towards having the necessary time to give each client’s case the attention it deserves. Proper representation for serious criminal charges simply cannot be achieved on a volume basis.
Law Office of Christopher Leibig Highlights
- Firm Selected As a Top Law Firm in Criminal Defense by Washingtonian Magazine
- Firm Selected as a Top Law Firm in Criminal Defense by U.S. News and World Report
- Firm Selected as a Top Law Firm in Criminal Defense by Superlawyers (Virginia and Washington D.C.)
- Firm Selected as a Top Law Firm in Criminal Defense by Best Lawyers
- Chris Leibig Taught at Virginia State Bar Criminal Law CLE on the Fourth Amendment, February and March 2016 (Williamsburg and Charlottesville)
- Chris Leibig, Joni Robin, Andrea Moseley, Cary Citronberg and Ellen Shultz Lectured at Aarhus Law School in Aarhus, Denmark, March 2016
- Chris Leibig, Joni Robin, Cary Citronberg, and Sam Dworkin Conducted a Mock Trial with Students and Professors at Humboldt University Law School in Berlin, Germany, November 2016
- Firm Represented Forty-One Clients in State and Federal Court, Including on Charges of Capital Murder, First Degree Murder, Production and Possession of Child Pornography, Drug Trafficking, Gambling, Internet Solicitation of Minor, and Driving While Intoxicated
- Chris Leibig’s Novel, Almost Mortal, Published by Koehler Books in May 2016, Awarded Next Generation Indie Book Award for “Best Religious Fiction” of 2016, and Named in the Top 100 Notable Fiction Books of 2016 by Shelf Unbound Magazine.
- Firm selected as a top firm in criminal defense by Washingtonian Magazine for 2016-17.
- Firm selected by US New and World Report as a top firm in criminal defense in the DC area for 2016.
- Firm selected by Nova Magazine as a top law firm in criminal defense for 2016.
- Firm selected by Best Lawyers as a top criminal defense law firm in the DC area in 2016.
- Firm selected by Superlawyers magazine as a top form in criminal defense in the DC area in 2016.
- Chris travelled to Kingston, Jamaica to lecture to two hundred students, as well as professors and a Supreme Court Justice, on digital evidence in the United States, March 2015.
- Chris lectured on criminal defense to students at the College of William and Mary, March 2015.
- Represented, along with Megan Thomas and Kathryn Batey, Michael Amin Gardner for child sex abuse in Arlington County.
- Represented Owen Barber, convicted codefendant in the case of Commonwealth v. Justin Wolfe.
- Represented, along with Joe King, Megan Thomas, and Kathyrn Batey, capital murder defendant Charles Severance in Alexandria City (venue moved to Fairfax).
- Represented man accused as being part of an international child pornography ring in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Chris Leibig and Kathryn Batey represented approximately 27 clients for various crimes from capital murder to driving while intoxicated.
- Kathryn Batey, a former Maryland Public Defender, joins the Law Office of Christopher Leibig.
- Firm become “of counsel” to the Law Office of John Kenneth Zwerling.
- Firm selected to Washingtonian Magazine’s Top Lawyers in Criminal Defense for 2014-15.
- Firm selected as a Top Criminal Defense Law Firm by U.S. News and World Report for 2014-15.
- Firm selected as a Top Lawyer in Criminal Defense by Best Lawyers for 2014-15.
- Firm selected by Northern Virginia Magazine as a Top Lawyer in Criminal Defense for 2014-15.
- Firm selected by Superlawyers as a Top Lawyer in Criminal Defense (Virginia and DC) for 2014-15.
- Represented Capital Murder defendant Deborah Smith in Clarke County, Virginia along with Ed McMahon and Joni Robin. Murder charges dismissed, case resolved by a plea to perjury.
- Represented Capital Murder defendant Mack Wood in Arlington County, Virginia along with Brad Haywood.
- Represented Capital Murder defendant Charles Severance in Alexandria, Virginia along with Joseph King and Megan Thomas.
- Lectured on criminal defense at the National University of Ireland’s Law School in Galway, Ireland along with Jasmin Mize and Cary Citronberg.
- Lectured on criminal defense at the Eugene Dupoch Law School in Nassau, Bahamas along with Paul Pepper, Joni Robin, and Jasmin Mize.
- Took part in national town hall meeting with lawyers and professors in Nassau, Bahamas about criminal justice reform.
- Firm sponsors first annual Cannabis Conference for Marijuana Legalization in Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Kathryn Batey speaks at first annual cannabis conference in Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Firm launches “The Caribbean Project” to represent Americans charged with crimes in Commonwealth Caribbean Countries (Bahamas, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago , Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Kitts) and associates with Prominent Nassau Lawyer Christina Galanos.
- Lectured on the Death Penalty at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Represented Client for Murder for Hire in Clarke County, Virginia along with Co-counsel Ed McMahon and Joni Robin (ongoing)
- Represented Client for Murder for Hire in Arlington County, Virginia Along with Co-Counsel Bradley Haywood (ongoing)
- Represented Arlington Sherriff’s Deputy Craig Patterson on First Degree Murder charges in Alexandria City along with Co-Counsel Joseph King and Megan Thomas. Patterson Found Guilty of Lesser Offense of Manslaughter, December 2013
- Became "Of Counsel" to the Nationally Known Law Office of John Kenneth Zwerling
- Lectured on American Criminal Law at Hugh Wooding Law School in Trinidad and Tobago
- Taught Continuing Legal Education Seminars on Federal Criminal Law and the Presentation of Mitigation Evidence, July and August 2013
- Selected by Washingtonian Magazine as one of the Top Lawyers in Criminal Defense in the DC area (2013-2014)
- Selected by Superlawyers as one of the Top Lawyers in Criminal Defense in DC and Virginia (2013-2014)
- Selected by Best Lawyers as one of the Top Lawyers in Criminal Defense in DC area (2013-2014)
- Represented Iranian Businessman for Computer Embargo Charges in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Charges Dismissed
- Represented Two Clients for Multi-Kilogram Cocaine Conspiracy Charges in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Represented Two Clients for Multi-Kilogram Marijuana Conspiracy Charges in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Represented an Alexandria Police Officer for a Shooting in the Line of Duty
- Hosted Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty Event along with Meghan Shapiro at Old Town Office
- Represented Thirty-Seven Clients Across Virginia – including Alexandria City, Arlington County, Prince William County, Fairfax County, Loudon County, Fredericksburg. Spotsylvania County, Winchester, Clarke County, Charlottesville, and Washington, DC.
- Handled First GPS Tracking Case in Virginia History in Virginia Supreme Court
- Represented Death Row Inmate Alfredo Prieto in Virginia Supreme Court
- On-location Novella Paradise City published by Traveller's Playground Press
- Firm named by Washingtonian Magazine as a top criminal defense law firm in Virginia (awarded in December 2011)
- Firm named by NOVA Magazine as a top criminal defense law firm in Northern Virginia, 2012
- Firm named by Thompson-Reuters Superlawyers as a top firm in criminal defense in Virginia and Washington, DC, 2012
- Firm named by US News and World Report's Best Lawyers as a top firm in criminal defense in DC area, 2012
- Appeared as a legal expert in local and national media fifteen times in 2012, including on Fox News, and in USA Today, the Washington Post, The Richmond-Times Dispatch
- Taught Six Continuing Legal Education Programs on criminal defense throughout Virginia during 2012
- Lectured on American Criminal Defense at Stirling University Law School in Stirling Scotland with Joe King, Joni Robin and Cary Citronberg in April 2012. Similar lectures soon to be scheduled in Europe and Asia.
- Spoke at the National Press Club along with attorney Steve Shannon, on the Fourth Amendment and Electronic Surveillance, October 2012
- Represented Fabian Johnson for First Degree Murder in Alexandria City along with Meghan Shapiro and Joseph King—Johnson sentenced to three and a half years for manslaughter, May 2012
- Represented Death Row Inmate Alfredo Prieto in State Capital Habeas Proceedings—pending in Virginia Supreme Court
- Argued first GPS tracking case in Virginia history at Virginia Supreme Court—Commonwealth v. David Foltz in July 2012
- Raised Second Amendment challenge to "Firearm By Convicted Felon" law in Paige County, Virginia—Commonwealth v. Rebecca Curtis—in March 2012
- Raised challenge to Virginia's Jury Sentencing Scheme in Paige County, Virginia—Commonwealth v. Rebecca Curtis—in March 2012
- Challenged Lethal Injection in Virginia along with Meghan Shapiro in the Circuit Court of Richmond—Shapiro and Leibig v. Department of Corrections—Filed April 2012, argued by Ms. Shapiro in September 2012, appeal pending in Virginia Supreme Court
- Represented twenty-six clients on all varieties of state and federal charges including capital murder, first degree murder, abduction, internet sex offenses, federal and state drug conspiracy charges, racketeering, and possession of child pornography
Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Heather Markman for Chris Leibig.